Lip service

 People are funny. When I first published the blog posts about having breast cancer, I got lots of messages and comments. It was quite uplifting as some were from people that I don’t really talk to as well as from people that I expected to respond. The funny thing is that after that, the messages dried up. Now cancer doesn’t go away overnight and, to be honest, I’ve had a setback that means I’ll be in some sort of treatment until next Spring. I’ve come to the conclusion though that a lot of those initial messages were just lip service. People felt oh I’ve commented and said let me know if you need anything so I’ve done my bit now I’ll just get on with my life. I don’t know if being a society soaked in social media has contributed to this. People feel they can keep up with your life without actually having to see or talk to you. Maybe it’s because they just don’t really care enough? Who know? Maybe I’m just bitter but I think I would have checked in with someone more often if they were going through this!

I’ve got more support on forums from people I don’t know than from family and people that I’ve known for decades. Well, my eyes have been opened and people have shown me their true colours now. 

I won’t forget this


PS: not publishing this on social media as I can’t be bothered and people won’t really care anyway

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Journey Part 2 - hello from the other side

A journey part 1

Recovery